Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Negative Messages

I just love receiving negative messages. Negative?!? Yes.

Yesterday afternoon, after I returned home from my girls' parent-teacher conferences at their school, I saw the note that made me smile. Penned by my 13-year-old daughter, who wrote the message down on a torn piece of paper, I read silently:

"Mom, the MRI is O.K.. Call her tomorrow."

*Gulp.* Smiling, I spun around and asked Melissa, "The MRI was okay? Call WHO tomorrow?"

After my daughter shifted her gaze from the T.V. screen long enough to look at me, she assures me that the woman on the phone who had left the message earlier said that the MRI was, indeed, okay and that I could return the call in the morning.

"Oh, and she had an accent," Melissa added.

That's my oncologist, a wonderful woman with a Middle-Eastern accent that is sometimes very difficult to understand.

But, thankfully, the result was negative - meaning no recurrence - no matter how it was relayed. And I'm still smiling...

I love getting negative messages.

3 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Yayyyyy! I understand "happy" about MRIs, or in my case, CTs. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoooo!! So, so happy for you!! Clever title to the post by the way. :) What an encouragement for those of us too who are still in that criticial less than 2 years out period. May God continue to bless and keep you!

Kerry Osborne

Debby said...

Gosh, I thought that I had left a celebratory comment.

*sigh*

Karen, the uncertainty of cancer is a toughy. Like you, I have never quite got the 'all clear'. There's always something to be watched. But I read something. God knows where we're at. God knows what we're dealing with. In one way or another, in His time, we'll be delivered from this. Our job is to simply glorify Him from where ever we are at. Keep on doing that.